Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Girl Groups

I'll admit ... I do tend to like girl groups. Having said that, perhaps they should be called female groups, but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

My all time favourite group is a girl group ... Bananarama. I grew up listening to them, and for some reason they just

There is just something about having more than one female singer that I like. And I prefer girl groups where there is NO one lead singer. Groups like Bananarama, Spice Girls, and the Sugababes have no lead singer, they all share in the lead.

Girl groups that only focus on one singer and have the other singers as "doo-wap" girls hold little or no interest to me. Groups like Destiny's Child, Pussycat Dolls, Exposé all focused on one singing star. No thanks!

So last night, I watched a documentary that was made in the UK about this history of girl groups. In the documentary, they have interviews with Siobhan Fahey, formerly of Bananarama and Melanie C of the Spice Girls, and the Sugababes as well. Also included are The Supremes, The Ronettes, The Bangles, The Saturdays, Miss-Teeq, Atomic Kitten, All Saints and Girls Aloud. I found the documentary interesting. If you'd like to watch it ... Here it is ...

"I'm in a Girl Group!"


No comments:

Post a Comment