Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Jody Watley's Dancer Video + Shalamar and Jody Live

Dear Poptastic Readers,

While we were counting down our Top 20 best songs of 2015, Jody Watley debuted her new video for the amazing song "Dancer." Click on the name of the song to see what Poptastic Confessions had to say about the remix release this past October.




First, some history about the song: It was released in the summer of 2014 on Jody's amazing Paradise EP. As you might remember, the first single from the EP was "Nightlife" ... and that was Poptastic Confessions #1 song of 2013. Her song "Sanctuary" was promoted around the release of Paradise and it landed at #21 on our favourite songs of 2014.



During the fall of 2014, Jody mentioned on Facebook that "Dancer" would be the next single. We quickly put it on our 2014 playlist. When it came to the year-end countdown, Poptastic Confessions jumped ahead of the proper release and we listed "Dancer" as our #3 song of 2014. D'oh! That is why the song was not in our Top 20 of 2015. Whoops!




"Dancer" did get a brilliant release full of wonderful remixes this past fall. And in December, the video premiered with a remix of the song. Without delay, here is the video ...



If that wasn't fabulous enough, Jody Watley and her group Shalamar recently had a three-night gig at Yoshi's in Oakland, California. As you know I have seen Jody perform there the past three times: The first time, she recognized me from Twitter, the second time I met her, and the third time was on my husband's birthday, but sadly we couldn't make it this time around.

Luckily, one of Poptastic Confessions new writers, Denster, saw the show. And here is what he had to say ...


The Jody Watley concert tonight was off the hook! No shade, but yes I enjoyed it more than the Duran Duran concert... More than dare I say, the Madonna concert! Her energy and sense of style cannot be denied! This woman sings from the heart! The first part of the show is the new Shalamar 'Reloaded' set, while the second half is old-school Jody Watley. It’s two hot sets in one concert. I don't think I've ever been to a concert where the artist took requests (she sang "Most of All" for me acapella and I gushed). Jody Watley looks and sounds amazing. No autotune or backing vocals needed. She is the real deal and can sing live (watch and learn Britney Spears). She took us down memory lane from her days with Shalamar to her solo success, including her new track "Dancer" which is amazing. I was dancing most of the entire show! Hip hop, funk, r&b, house, disco—she delivers her songs with the same smoldering intensity as she did back in the day. What took me all these years to finally see Jody Watley live? All I can say is I will never miss a Jody Watley concert again as long as I live. What could make the experience even better? Jody takes to the crowd and works the audience. I got a hug from Jody Watley! Yes I did!



If you haven't bought the single for "Dancer" yet, it is available on digital outlets everywhere. Go buy it today! You won't be sorry! Take it from Denster ...

I cannot believe how incredible all these mixes are for Jody Watley's new single! ALL the mixes are mind-blowing! Not a bad one in the bunch! I can't stop listening!! Love the house vibe!

Cheers then,
—Davearama (and Denster, too)

No comments:

Post a Comment